Drug Trafficing and the Temple?

What do these two things have in common? Well today they had ME in common. On another friends blog she commented that if this is really going to be a "family journal" she needed to blog the good, bad, and ugly. So here goes my ugly!

Today was a Temple trip for the youth in our ward. My calling being such that it is I was responsible for attending and chaperoning. We had enough parent drivers to take care of the youth so I drove Chris' truck and took my good friend and counselor Kim with me. We arrived at our usual meeting place, Office Depot, at 7:30 sharp. A bit early in my opinion but I was out voted in the meeting. I forgot the medical release forms for the drivers at home and ran to get them before everyone left. I was gone for a total of 6 minutes, when I got back to Office Depot all the drivers were gone. So I said a quick prayer and asked that we all arrive safely. (I think I need to be more specific in my prayers)

I take off on my way to Nauvoo it's about a 2 1/2 hour drive from our house. I'm on the freeway and miss the interchange to the next freeway. This is very easy to do in a large city with 100's of freeway interchanges, however I'm in a tiny Midwest town and folks there are only 2 freeways so missing the interchange was just chalked up to my friend and I being distracted by some snow on a big rig truck! Anyhoo the next exit is not for 3 miles (again not a huge city with exits every 1/4 mile) so I drive on down to the exit. I get off the exit and notice a police car sitting on the overpass, I go past him and get back on the freeway going back the way I came. The office immediately pulls onto the freeway behind me. Don't know about you but when I have a cop following me I turn into the world's perfect driver. He follows me for about 2 miles and then turns on his lights and pulls me over. At this point I don't know what I have done wrong and have never had a ticket before so I'm scared out of my wits. The officer comes to my window... license, registration, etc etc... I ask what I have done and he says I failed to turn on my signal while merging onto the freeway (which I did signal) and he's on drug detail and pulling over suspicious vehicles! He thought it was strange that I got off the freeway "saw him" and then got back on. WHATEVER! Long story short I guess I looked innocent enough so he let me go with a "warning" (again WHATEVER) and I was on my way. I guess if I had not come along that poor officer would have been bored out of his wits for the 15 minutes this took.

A few more minor set backs (me missing more exits) and we arrived at the Temple safe but stressed and had a great time with the youth. Once I got inside I was told that I had to speak at the prayer meeting so I guess all the mishaps I had this morning just gave me something to talk about and give the youth a little lesson on Satan not wanting us to do what is right. I guess I was not the only one that had a few set backs this morning so he was working extra hard on our little group. We had about 30 youth there and I was pleased with them for making good choices and rearranging their schedules to be there. Rock on Normal 2nd Ward Rock on!

Comments

Tam said…
How wonderful - I miss those youth temple trips. They were always so much fun. I have had several of those types of trips when I am on the way to the temple. The worst one was when Michael and I went to LA to get married. Everything that could have happened did and Michael and I both got to the point that we were ready to call the whole thing off - Thankfully we didn't!!!
karen said…
I remember my brother telling off someone while we were waiting to get back on the freeway from the LA temple. You know how they had all the people there with signs and stuff. I coulnt WAIT for the lights to go green to get out of there. Kinda scarry.
Eliza said…
You're in the "Normal" 2nd ward? That's cool! I'm in the Amarillo 4th ward but I wouldn't say it's a "normal" ward if you get what I'm saying. Sounds like a crazy morning but I'm so proud of you and the youth for making the effort to go. I really miss not working with the youth for moments like this.
Anonymous said…
You know you are guilty S!!! Come on now just admit it!!! :-) No, really....this is a funny story. Glad you blogged it for memories sake! :-)

Popular posts from this blog

34 Reasons Why I Love You

Sometimes life changes and we are all trying to catch up