Canning Wheat Experience
I think I posted somewhere a while back that we are starting to get a food storage together as one of our goals this year. Well our first order of wheat arrived this week and I had the experience of going and canning the wheat this morning. I have never done this nor have I ever seen it done so I really did not know what to expect. My good friend Sharon and her hubby went with me. They had wheat to can also and are avid food storers so they could show me the ropes. We left our 4 children that do not attend school with our other friend Kim (she has 3 of her own, do the math and that's 7 kids under 6! Way to go Kim) and were off to the Morton church building to can wheat.
Luckily when we arrived Sharon's order was already done! YEAH! The stars must have been aligned correctly for us at the moment, but don't worry folks it's me and there's bound to be some incidents along the way. So in order to can my order there are 2 other orders already on the table to be canned and their owners were not there, so we canned it for them. Finally we got to my order. Sharon's hubby Glen was running one of the caner's and on the other side a sweet ol' guy from another unit was running the other one. I was labeling the finished cans and started noticing that the cans coming from the other man's caner were not always sealed. I started handing them back and having them ran through again. Glen was so nice he went to load some of the finished cans in the van and came back a few minutes later with all the cans. At first I thought maybe my van was locked but he said that he did not think the cans were sealed correctly. The caner I was using overheated and stopped working so the only caner that had been running for a while was the other one with the older man using it. Anyway long story short this nice old man that was helping us was simply not using the caner correctly and so we had to literally re-seal each and every can. SIGH!! Thank goodness Glen and Sharon were there to help because I don't think I would have noticed that they all needed to be redone.
Finally with all of our wheat canned (correctly) and loaded in our vans we went to treat ourselves to Sonic for lunch. We don't have a Sonic in Bloomington so this is a real treat. Now here comes the "Syndy" part. While getting off the freeway in Peoria I accidentally rear end Sharon! When I started to stop the cans in the back started shifting (actually flying) forward and so did my back seat and I was temporarily distracted by this fact and hit her. Luckily there was no damage to either vehicle, my license plate has a dent, but talk about humiliating. Here these people were so nice to help me can and load my van and I rear end them. UGH!
All in all I think we had a productive day. As I was canning the wheat I had a great sense of accomplishment. I couldn't help but feel like I was doing something really meaningful for my family. There were a lot of people there just helping and there was a great sense of order, everything was organized very well. I know now why the Beehive is kind of the logo for the church so often, I felt like a worker bee in a great big hive working to get things done. There was no complaining no harsh words just people working together and having a great time doing it. It was a great experience and am so glad to have done it and look forward to doing it again.
Luckily when we arrived Sharon's order was already done! YEAH! The stars must have been aligned correctly for us at the moment, but don't worry folks it's me and there's bound to be some incidents along the way. So in order to can my order there are 2 other orders already on the table to be canned and their owners were not there, so we canned it for them. Finally we got to my order. Sharon's hubby Glen was running one of the caner's and on the other side a sweet ol' guy from another unit was running the other one. I was labeling the finished cans and started noticing that the cans coming from the other man's caner were not always sealed. I started handing them back and having them ran through again. Glen was so nice he went to load some of the finished cans in the van and came back a few minutes later with all the cans. At first I thought maybe my van was locked but he said that he did not think the cans were sealed correctly. The caner I was using overheated and stopped working so the only caner that had been running for a while was the other one with the older man using it. Anyway long story short this nice old man that was helping us was simply not using the caner correctly and so we had to literally re-seal each and every can. SIGH!! Thank goodness Glen and Sharon were there to help because I don't think I would have noticed that they all needed to be redone.
Finally with all of our wheat canned (correctly) and loaded in our vans we went to treat ourselves to Sonic for lunch. We don't have a Sonic in Bloomington so this is a real treat. Now here comes the "Syndy" part. While getting off the freeway in Peoria I accidentally rear end Sharon! When I started to stop the cans in the back started shifting (actually flying) forward and so did my back seat and I was temporarily distracted by this fact and hit her. Luckily there was no damage to either vehicle, my license plate has a dent, but talk about humiliating. Here these people were so nice to help me can and load my van and I rear end them. UGH!
All in all I think we had a productive day. As I was canning the wheat I had a great sense of accomplishment. I couldn't help but feel like I was doing something really meaningful for my family. There were a lot of people there just helping and there was a great sense of order, everything was organized very well. I know now why the Beehive is kind of the logo for the church so often, I felt like a worker bee in a great big hive working to get things done. There was no complaining no harsh words just people working together and having a great time doing it. It was a great experience and am so glad to have done it and look forward to doing it again.
Comments