Despite the Rant I really do Love living here!
Some of you have been wondering about the "pay for school" comment on one of my recent posts. All of my Illinois blogging buddies will probably have much sympathy for me as they too are "paying for school". Well here goes.
Every year we pay a registration/book rental fee when we register our kids for school. In my school and district (I don't know if it's different for each school or district) the fee is $85 per child. That does not include the $60 worth of school supplies I was required to buy for K this year alone to please her teacher. The supplies included things like 3 boxes of tissue, bulk sizes of hand sanitizer and several packages of lined paper. We also have to buy all art supplies, paint, smocks, construction paper, crayons, etc etc. Then once the school year started we were required to buy an assignment notebook (with the school logo on it WHATEVER) for $5 and a reading log for $3. I felt completely dollared to death by October. Then in October we are asked to contribute to a fundraiser for the school. In my opinion they had already raised as much funds as they are going to get out of me.
Once the kids get to High School it gets worse. The fee goes up and for every elective, or sports activity they do it is extra. I know some families that pay hundreds of dollars a year for their kids to go to High School. It's sad when you have to tell the children "No I didn't save for college I had to save every year for elementary/high school!"
In Illinois we pay one of the highest property tax rates in the country, I pay almost quadruple what I paid in Ca! Every field trip, class party, or event they have we have to pay for. Sometimes they go on field trips to places that they have to buy lunch at a food court. K went to a going away party for a teacher she had last year and had to contribute $5 to that party!
I do have to say that moving here from CA they do have an advanced curriculum. K was a little behind when she got here last year, and in CA she was ahead. She's caught up now, but it's not that advanced that makes it worth the price we pay. In Ca I sent K to school each year with a new back pack and a lunch box and that was it!
They just voted last election day to raise property taxes again to build new schools. Where is all my money going? Lots of people say the Mob politicians in Chicago. Who knows. Our roads are awful, our schools are expensive, and our taxes are high, but hey we can put anything out on the curb and the garbage man will take it!
Every year we pay a registration/book rental fee when we register our kids for school. In my school and district (I don't know if it's different for each school or district) the fee is $85 per child. That does not include the $60 worth of school supplies I was required to buy for K this year alone to please her teacher. The supplies included things like 3 boxes of tissue, bulk sizes of hand sanitizer and several packages of lined paper. We also have to buy all art supplies, paint, smocks, construction paper, crayons, etc etc. Then once the school year started we were required to buy an assignment notebook (with the school logo on it WHATEVER) for $5 and a reading log for $3. I felt completely dollared to death by October. Then in October we are asked to contribute to a fundraiser for the school. In my opinion they had already raised as much funds as they are going to get out of me.
Once the kids get to High School it gets worse. The fee goes up and for every elective, or sports activity they do it is extra. I know some families that pay hundreds of dollars a year for their kids to go to High School. It's sad when you have to tell the children "No I didn't save for college I had to save every year for elementary/high school!"
In Illinois we pay one of the highest property tax rates in the country, I pay almost quadruple what I paid in Ca! Every field trip, class party, or event they have we have to pay for. Sometimes they go on field trips to places that they have to buy lunch at a food court. K went to a going away party for a teacher she had last year and had to contribute $5 to that party!
I do have to say that moving here from CA they do have an advanced curriculum. K was a little behind when she got here last year, and in CA she was ahead. She's caught up now, but it's not that advanced that makes it worth the price we pay. In Ca I sent K to school each year with a new back pack and a lunch box and that was it!
They just voted last election day to raise property taxes again to build new schools. Where is all my money going? Lots of people say the Mob politicians in Chicago. Who knows. Our roads are awful, our schools are expensive, and our taxes are high, but hey we can put anything out on the curb and the garbage man will take it!
Comments
Well, hopefully Gordon's problem has resolved itself. We got a letter today saying that he qualifies for the full-time GATE program. It means a different school... but that is fine with me.
As for homeschooling, I am not sufficiently organized, patient, or motivated. I think the whole "school" thing would fall by the wayside in favor of sleeping in and trips to the coast. =) Also, he can be a bit of a spank. Although, if Jenn homeschooled... I might try and sneak him in her "class" (wink, wink).
Good luck saving for high school. That just sounds crazy!
Willow