1st Annual Laurel Class Trip
The Laurels in my ward have been on us to have a class trip. We have 10 active Laurels. So finally after much schedule shuffling and planning this weekend we went on our trip.
First on the agenda was a concert and picnic at Millennium Park. We arrived about 1 1/2 hours early for the concert so we headed over to the fountain and played in the water. When I say we I mean the girls. For the most part the leaders stayed dry and only got wet when we were given big "Laurel Hugs" by the girls. I didn't have my camera for the fountain I wish I had it was awesome.
The concert was the Millennium Park Symphony and they did Beethoven's Catholic Mass (don't know the real name) and it was great. It was all very casual. We sat on the grass on a blanket and ate sandwiches, and the girls had a grape fight and commented on the number of people drinking wine. Only one innocent bystander was hit with a stray grape.
Lucky for me my 1st Counselor is from Chicago and her family still lives there. We were able to stay at her Grandma's house for the night. Grandma affectionately known as Nini is 84 and a ball of fire. She left no comfort out for us and we felt like part of the family. That night we ate ice cream, played cards, planned our day, and had very little sleep. I think I went to bed at 12:30 and they were still going strong at 2:00am. Sorry Kim... she got the couch in with the girls!
The next morning I was nursing a horrible migraine! But despite that I was able to put away quite a bit of Nini's breakfast feast! Egg bake, coffee cake, ham, fruit salad, raisin toast, jam, muffins, juice the works! 1/2 way back to down town, and 2 Tylenol, 3 Motrin, and a Dr. Pepper later my headache was still BAD. I didn't actually throw up or anything (thank goodness there were a lot of people on the street) and was able to get things under control around 11:00. The rest of the day was passed shopping on Michigan Ave, and having lunch at Navy Pier. I was astonished at how many times my girls were asked for their phone # , one in particular was hit on every time we stopped. I am not looking forward to having teenage girls myself.
I have a great group of YW they are very sweet and some are a little sassy but they all are such examples to me and I'm glad I don't have to face the challenges they have now days. Anyway we were home in time for them to go to a multi-stake dance (big fun, fresh meat). They napped in the car on the way home and were raring to go, it will take me 3-5 days to recover. They are already planning next years trip and I hope they all had a wonderful time.
Above: My group at the mall striking a pose with hats. We had 2 groups at the mall... those that had $$$ burning a hole in their pockets for designer handbags and clothes, and those that were content to window shop and be horrified at the prices. I had the latter.
First on the agenda was a concert and picnic at Millennium Park. We arrived about 1 1/2 hours early for the concert so we headed over to the fountain and played in the water. When I say we I mean the girls. For the most part the leaders stayed dry and only got wet when we were given big "Laurel Hugs" by the girls. I didn't have my camera for the fountain I wish I had it was awesome.
The concert was the Millennium Park Symphony and they did Beethoven's Catholic Mass (don't know the real name) and it was great. It was all very casual. We sat on the grass on a blanket and ate sandwiches, and the girls had a grape fight and commented on the number of people drinking wine. Only one innocent bystander was hit with a stray grape.
Lucky for me my 1st Counselor is from Chicago and her family still lives there. We were able to stay at her Grandma's house for the night. Grandma affectionately known as Nini is 84 and a ball of fire. She left no comfort out for us and we felt like part of the family. That night we ate ice cream, played cards, planned our day, and had very little sleep. I think I went to bed at 12:30 and they were still going strong at 2:00am. Sorry Kim... she got the couch in with the girls!
The next morning I was nursing a horrible migraine! But despite that I was able to put away quite a bit of Nini's breakfast feast! Egg bake, coffee cake, ham, fruit salad, raisin toast, jam, muffins, juice the works! 1/2 way back to down town, and 2 Tylenol, 3 Motrin, and a Dr. Pepper later my headache was still BAD. I didn't actually throw up or anything (thank goodness there were a lot of people on the street) and was able to get things under control around 11:00. The rest of the day was passed shopping on Michigan Ave, and having lunch at Navy Pier. I was astonished at how many times my girls were asked for their phone # , one in particular was hit on every time we stopped. I am not looking forward to having teenage girls myself.
I have a great group of YW they are very sweet and some are a little sassy but they all are such examples to me and I'm glad I don't have to face the challenges they have now days. Anyway we were home in time for them to go to a multi-stake dance (big fun, fresh meat). They napped in the car on the way home and were raring to go, it will take me 3-5 days to recover. They are already planning next years trip and I hope they all had a wonderful time.
Above: Our little group at the park for the concert. We only had 7 girls able to go and 1 is not shown because she came later.
Comments
That ampitheater is wonderful. What a nice night. I think we are going to have to find something like that here. It sounds like a nice evening.
And I am glad your migrane got better. I have never had one but I have had a bad enough headache that I can imagine what you went through.