Something to Think About

I'm actually copying this article from someone else's blog (see Kim you are not the only copy cat). I lurk on a friends, mom's blog, and found this very interesting. It is strange that she posted it today when last night I was thinking about this very topic. Of course like most Americans who watch prime-time TV I am a bit of a crime drama addict. (the last weeks posts have been more of a confessional, Craig's list addict, crime drama addict, what's next?) I have recently gotten into the show Flashpoint. It is very good and as true crime drama should be is riddled with psycho paths, kidnapping, and child abusers. I find if I watch to much crime TV before bed it makes for scary dreams as last night episode was about kidnapping.

Anywhoo... I have always been pretty frank with my kids about staying with me and what could happen if they don't. They are allowed to speak to strangers when I am around and we talk about it afterward. K is 9 and she is allowed to walk around the block or ride her bike around it only if she has a friend with her. I don't think I'm paranoid, OK maybe a little, but I try to give my kids the knowledge to protect themselves and how to try and get out of bad situations. She mentions in the article about how stranger abduction stats are falling and I think it is because as parents we are more vigilant in watching our kids.

This is just something to ponder as we go about our day. Like we have nothing else to worry about. Read the article it was very interesting.

http://www.nysun.com/editorials/why-i-let-my-9-year-old-ride-subway-alone

Comments

Willow said…
-- Get comfy, I am not short-winded--

My neighbor and I were talking about this a couple of days ago. Actually, we have this conversation every time he thinks that I allow my kids too much freedom.

From age 2; Gordon spoke like an adult, knew his name, knew his birthdate, could tell anyone his address, phone number, and his parents' names (Russell Honeypie Erwin Moore and Willow Sweetie Danielle Moore). He knew the city and state he lived in and could identify each on a map. In the event he ever found himself lost, he knew to look for a police/security person in uniform... with a badge and photo ID, or a mother or grandmother with young children. Because of this, he was allowed to play out front, in our yard, alone. I would occasionally glance out the windows as I changed laundry, but I didn't stalk him. And he was 2.

Then came Zachary. Zachary is more quiet and shy. He is wicked smart, but obstinant. He is currently 4, and while he knows all the information that Gordon knew at 2, Zachary isn't as good about following rules and directions. Only now am I letting him play outside alone. However, with his brother, Zachary is allowed to ride his bike up and down the block.

Our neighbor's son is 4 and he is not permitted to play in their locked, kid-proofed backyard without an adult. You can see why my neighbor is about 2 seconds from calling CPS on me at any given moment.

I honestly don't believe that there are more abductions happening today than in the innocent 1950s and 1960s. Evil has always existed. I do think that there has been an increase in the reports of abuse and abduction. With increased awareness can some increased worry.

Do I worry about Gordon and Zach? All the time. But I also truly believe that I will be guided and inspired to know when something is not right in their world. I also believe that I will be prompted to check on them when necessary. I will say, it is hard to follow these promptings when the baby is eating... but 5 minutes wont cause Christopher to starve to death. On one such occasion, I stopped nursing the smallest one and opened the front door to see Zach running to our house with a bloody nose. He had been decked by his brother.

My neighbor insists that moving to a fancier part of town will stop all of his worries about his son playing. I figure where we are, though not fancy, I know the people around me... they know me and my kids. A nicer looking house doesn't mean nicer people live inside.

Finally (aren't you relieved), Gordon walks to and from the bus stop by himself. I get a bit anxious everyday, but when the school doesn't call to tell me he isn't there, I relax until it is time for him to come home. The stop is 3 blocks away and across 3 streets. Two weeks ago I was out running errands and as he was due home soon, I stopped at a corner to pick him up. I noticed a group of 6 older boys and younger men out in their front yard drinking and looking like total hooligans. As Gordon neared the corner, I called "Hey kid!" to him. He happily ran over and opened the car door. No sooner had he started to climb in than all of the men stopped their galavanting and approached me. "Do you know this boy?" I replied that I was his mother. They looked at Gordon, "do you know this lady's name." He said that I was his mom and that he knew better than to go home with strangers. While one was asking us whether we knew eachother, the others had out their cell phones... some were taking pictures of my vehicle and liscence plates, and another had started to dial 911.

Don't get me wrong, I would not wish Gordon to adopt the lifestyle that these men were enjoying. Nor do I view them as truly upstanding pillars in the community. However, that afternoon, a group of rag-tag men took the time to make sure a little boy was not climbing into a stranger's vehicle.

Okay, now that you know I am neglectful... you too can get CPS on speed dial.
The Queen Bee said…
Wow, Willow that was a Whopper! I am not going to call CPS cuz I know you are a great mom. Thanks for the opinion. It's great how you saw each of your boys personalities and parented accordingly. I know several people who do not let their kids play outside in their locked back yard without supervision. We don't have fences here so I made sure my kids knew the boundries. Sometimes those get blurred and have to be reestablished. (I wish comments had spell check) anyway thanks.
Jen Wolff said…
You are not paranoid Syndy. If you are paranoid, then what does that make me? I have huge issues with stranger danger!!! My kids can play in the backyard unsupervised so long as the gate is locked (wrought iron dead bolted). My children have never been allowed to play out front unsupervised!I feel once they are a bit older, I may loosen the reigns. Yes, they are forearmed with all the vital info., and we have no sex offenders in the vicinity., but that doesn't stop them from making a visit. I am of the opinion that if you let your guard down, you may become a statistic and it is our job, as parents, to protect our children and their innocence. I am all for letting my bigger kids run over to the neighbors, or check the mail. I have always been up front with my kiddies about bad strangers vs. good strangers and what kinds of things bad strangers can do to little kids (w/out going into graphic detail). ITA with you Syndy about why the stats are falling. We do our kiddies a diservice by not talking with them about these things. Just my humble opinion and I do not judge others because of theirs ;). I just have to be comfortable with my actions and this is what I am ok with. It's late and I'm off to bed!

Popular posts from this blog

34 Reasons Why I Love You

Sometimes life changes and we are all trying to catch up