Homecoming Parade



I know everyone thinks the Midwest is strange, and really it's not that strange compared to the rest of the country. There is however one thing I find really strange in our area. I don't know if it's unique to our area or just unique to small town America in general. It's school spirit. People in this town are obsessed with school spirit. My kids are in elementary school and got out early on Friday because the High School (the one they will be attending) had a homecoming parade. All the schools in the district have the same school colors and the children were asked to wear them on Friday. Orange and black are not my favorite but my girls obliged.

O apparently was chosen for an Ace Award at school sometime in the last couple of weeks. That means she was respectful and helpful. From the Ace Award winners they chose a few to walk in the homecoming parade with the school's float. O was one of those chosen. She was so excited. I had her dressed in orange and black for school but when she got home she was hot and insisted on changing before the parade. So she was the only child wearing pink and black in the parade. I was so sad because I had to drop her off and was not able to stay for the parade because I had a sewing student coming. K stayed and watched with some friends of mine and they said she had a blast. It was funny to me that the principal got to ride on the float but the children had to walk a parade route that was over a mile long. Needless to say O took advantage of the wagon for a short time and gave her legs a rest.

Comments

AndieF said…
OK, I've lived most of my life in the midwest, but this place is seriously school spirit crazy. Every year, I still can't believe that the let out the elementary schools for the HIGH SCHOOL's homecoming.

The kids asked about five minutes before the parade if we could go, and I said that I was sorry, but we couldn't, and they cried. Great. Thanks for that school spirit! Ugh!
Whacky Wheelers said…
Our Homecoming Parade is TODAY! Our school colors are also orange and black . . . we are PANTHERS! Matthew is walking in the parade and his Dad is walking with him . . . I will give them the idea of taking a wagon along! I'm going to be sitting on the sideline in the crowds! Go Oakdale!

Popular posts from this blog

34 Reasons Why I Love You

Sometimes life changes and we are all trying to catch up