Just Me Saying Stuff

There are few instances in which I truly feel like a bad mother. I may say it sometimes when my kids ask for Pepsi for breakfast and I tell them no and they whine and I say, " I know I'm a bad mom" or when they cry after I tell them to pick up their toys. However there are very few cases in which I ACTUALLY feel like I'm really a bad mom. One of those instances is when I take my kids to the dentist. Does anyone else have this problem? The minute they start cleaning their teeth they start lecturing me about brushing for 2 complete minutes, brushing twice daily, flossing daily, etc, etc. I am not a stupid person I consider myself fairly intelligent, I have actually been brushing my own teeth for the past 30 something years and have had very few problems. Why is it that they can take a woman who has managed to raise 3 children to the ripe old ages of 9, 6, and 4 and make her feel like she has no idea how to care for said children? I almost feel like if there's the smallest bit of plaque on their teeth DCFS is going to walk in and take them away from me. The hygienist even pulled me aside this time to "talk with me" about their teeth. My kids brush daily, and K flosses herself. The other two not so much. If I have to choose between having a good fight free morning, or struggling with my 6 year old for 20 minutes about flossing, guess which one I'm gonna pick. Also doesn't genetics have something to do with it. I mean I never had a cavity until I was preggo (been reading too much Seriously So Blessed) with K and Chris on the other hand had lots before he was an adult. I personally love to go to the dentist myself. I wish I could get my teeth cleaned once a month, but I HATE taking the kids. It's all very frustrating and I make Chris go as often as he can.

On a more positive note... I started my new job on Thursday and I had a great time! I loved helping people with their projects and it was fun to talk with grown ups all afternoon. I also got 2 more sewing students this week and they are awesome! (Hey Mary)

So there's my stuff to say today.

Comments

Miss Riya said…
I love the little bee floating around the screen! By the way....when you get a chance could you post more recipes on your other blog?
-Thanks
Merrimom said…
Well, I'll say my piece to hopefully make us both feel better. I was the same, never a cavity until I was pregnant and only one. My kids don't have such great luck either. I tried and tried to figure out what the heck could possibly make them have such a problem when most nights, I actually help them brush their teeth to make sure they are getting clean enough. I have a friend who is a hygienist and talked to her about it. She says it comes down to the fluoride thing. We all drank tap water growing up, right? A lot of days, it was outside straight from the garden hose, right? Haha! Well we buy filtered water here because the water smells and tastes like sulfur....ick... and of course there is NO fluoride in bottled water. So the kids don't get enough fluoride. Stinky. I don't know what to do either, but it has nothing to do with us being bad parents, I'm sure of it!
Jen Wolff said…
Oh Syndy, I so feel your pain! I never had a cavity until after giving birth to my second baby. I'd take a wo minute lecture anyday over Dr. Slaughter's evil hygienist. Consider yourself lucky! Ours doesn't lecture, she badgers and humiliates. She considers it her mission to literally tell me I am a bad mother, no lie! I love my dentist, but I hate his Nazi hygienist.She is very unprofessional! She seriously made me cry after having Olivia. Until recently, I was in there every 6 months like a good mom. At our last visit I got pissed off enough to tell her " My children's terrible teeth are your job security sweetie! Call CPS if it's that bad." I've wanted to say something to Dr. Slaughter so bad, but because he was our Bishop and now in the Stake Presidency. I am afraid!!!!! Stupid, I know. My children get their dental issues from their dad. It's a plaque issue. Our home teacher is very close to getting our business.
Normal Mom said…
I vote for getting a new dentist. I know my kids have pretty dirty teeth, but the most the hygenist ever says is, "You really ought to let Mom and Dad help you brush your teeth." And my kids love to go.
Some professionals are just more professional than others. Treat yourself to a giant extra Pepsi every six months after you endure that.
And just for the record, for those of us who know you and your kids, you are a wonderful mom!
We have found a great dentist here and the hygenist is a little rough on the cleaning teeth thing! So far Jacob is on the "No Cavities Wall." He goes in for another check up in a few weeks we will have to see. My advice is to shop around until you find a Dentist with a hygenist you like! One that isn't a Nazi, but rather your "cheerleader"--it is hard to get our kids to brush and floss every day!

Popular posts from this blog

34 Reasons Why I Love You

Sometimes life changes and we are all trying to catch up