I've been VERY Naughty!

OK, get your minds out of the gutter. This is way better than you can imagine!

Last night I was freezing, of course, and we are out of hot cocoa mix. During the winter I try to NEVER run out of hot cocoa mix, because we drink so much of it and the kids love it for breakfast. So I was thinking I bet I could make hot cocoa from scratch. Usually I don't have all the ingredients for things such as this. I hate wanting to make something and being one ingredient short. So I scoured allrecipes.com and found this recipe:

1/3 Cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 Cup white sugar
1 pinch salt
1/3 Cup boiling water
3 1/2 Cups Milk
3/4 Tsp. Vanilla
1/2 Cup half and half

Combine cocoa, sugar, and salt in saucepan. Blend in boiling water. Bring mixture to an easy boil while you stir. Simmer and stir for 2 minutes. Don't scorch it! Stir in milk and heat until very hot, NOT BOILING, remove from heat and add vanilla. Divide between 4 mugs and add 1/2 & 1/2 evenly to cocoa.

I actually teared up a little, and my eyes went back in my head when I took a drink. You never know how these recipes are going to turn out when you find them on the Internet so it's always a gamble. This one is definitely a keeper! I'm adding it to my recipe blog thequeensrecipes.blogspot.com next!

Oh and as a side note, SHHH don't tell anyone, I did not have any 1/2 & 1/2 so I used about a tablespoon of heavy cream in each mug!

Comments

AndieF said…
I never have the ingredients for homemade cocoa either, so I make sure that I always have plenty of Swiss Miss with Marshmellows in my food storage. In an emergency, we'll have plenty of hot chocolate! LOL
Mary said…
It's true -- hot chocolate is essential. I was amazed that you had 1/2 and 1/2 as I was reading through, but you didn't. Heavy cream isn't that naughty -- it hasn't been through the ringer, so to speak. They'll probably discover that it is much better for us in the end.

Popular posts from this blog

34 Reasons Why I Love You

Sometimes life changes and we are all trying to catch up