Trip to the Mall

I volunteered to go to the Mall with O's class. They collected money for a charity that gives toys and gifts to needy families, so we took the kids shopping for their gifts. Getting 5 kindergartners to agree on a gift was not easy. Especially because I was paired up with the classes student teacher and she was saddled with 2 "problem" children. (O was not one of those) O however is an "Alpha Female" as I like to call it. She knows what she wants and will do almost anything to persuade you to her point of view. She is also very bossy and stubborn. (and sweet and cute and thoughtful, wouldn't want you to get the wrong idea about her). So she picked a gift that was almost the whole budget and there was only enough to buy one other small thing and one of the little girls had a complete meltdown. They had all agreed to O's choice but when it came to money time they didn't understand that not everyone was going to get to choose. So I scoured the store and found an equivalent item for about 1/4 of the price and everyone got to choose. Well that was not good enough for one little "angel". She threw a raging fit in the middle of the store and I told her that she had a choice choose something small like everyone else or go home with nothing and I promptly walked away to the register. Well the student teacher took pity on her (or maybe she was just trying to shut her up) and told her that she could get something she wanted even if she had to pay for it herself. Well I just stepped back and let her handle the situation. That's just not how we roll at our house. You throw a fit and whatever great things you were going to get are gone. I don't care how much you scream.
Once when K was little, maybe 2- 2 1/2 we were in Walmart and I wouldn't buy her anything and she was wallowing on the floor crying and whining. Well I abandoned my cart in the craft department and headed for the door (that was at the opposite end of the store) I had K and she was screaming the whole way, "I want my Mom, you take me back to my Mom". No kidding. She knew she was in trouble. I was shocked that no one stopped me and at that point I would have given her to them and just dared them to try and find her Mom.
Anyway I digress... long story short the little girl got her purchase and was happy until lunch when her mother checked the "let her choose when she gets there" box for lunch and it took the little pill almost 30 minutes to decide.
The day was really fun, I swear! O had a great time shopping and eating Chinese Food for lunch. All the other kids were ordering pizza and burgers and chicken and she wanted Chinese Food with chopsticks. She ate every bite. Next week we'll make some sort of Hanukkah food for Celebration Day so I hopefully will get pictures up soon.
Comments