Crunchy Granola, or Thrifty Chick
Of course anyone who knows me it's all about the "Thrifty Chick". Saving the environment is probably about 20th or so on my to do list! I would use paper plates, utensils, and cups everyday if I could afford it, who wants to do dishes. I don't recycle. I have 3 kids (almost 4) a job, a MAJOR calling, sewing students, a hubby, and Facebook, when do I have time to recycle?

Anyway this post was not meant to be a "Green" vs "Not Green" post it is supposed to be about... well ME of course. I've decided to use cloth diapers with this baby. If someone had told me 5 years ago I would be considering cloth diapers with my next child I would have told them they were out of their minds. However considering the financial impact that disposable diapers will have on us compared to cloth it was a no brainer!
So I started my research. I have lots of friends here that use cloth so I started poling them on which was the best. One thing I learned is that there are some fancy shmancy cloth diapers out there that are really expensive. Who would have thought you could spend about $25+ on ONE diaper?! That defiantly was not the way I wanted to go, but prefold diapers seemed really complicated to me. So I decided to find a pattern and make my own. Working at a fabric store has it's perks, I discovered that Hancock's carries all the supplies for cloth diapers. This is the first time that a fabric store has carried all these supplies, usually you have to order off the Internet. So I bought some supplies found a pattern, altered the pattern, and made a diaper. My neighbor has a baby that is about 8ish months old so I gave her the diaper and asked her to use it and let me know how it goes. Well she loves it! It works great. The best part is I only spent about $60 on all the supplies, and that should last for the duration of my baby's "diaper career"! So here is Baby F with her cute "Wonder Diaper" on!
The diaper is flannel on the inside and outside with PUL (a waterproof fabric) sandwiched in between. It is a pocket diaper which means there is a pocket inside that has a microfiber insert that you remove for cleaning. This makes it ULTRA absorbent and also quicker to dry because all the thick pieces come apart. I used Velcro for easy closure, it's adjustable so it will grow with the baby, and it also has elastic around the legs and back to keep in all the "stuff". I'm so excited about these diapers, but I'm waiting to make the ones for my baby until we find out if it's a boy or a grill because I want the diapers to reflect the gender of the baby. You know, flowers, hearts, and butterflies, if it's a girl, and dinosaurs, pirates, and cars if it's a boy.
I am not looking forward to having to clean out the poo but other than that I'm really excited about our new endeavor. I'm sure I'll post on this again, when I get my diapers made.
Comments
I hate the term "green." I love, however, to save money, and they are so much nicer on any sensitive baby hiney parts.
Great way to put your skills/resources to work for you!