Paranoid, or Just Self Conscious?

I've always gotten the comments with my 3 kids in tow, "You have your hands full", " Boy are you busy". etc.  Since I've gotten pregnant it's gotten worse.  People always ask if this is my first baby, I guess some women do start families later in life, but when I tell them it's my fourth you would have thought I just said I was a terrorist from the Planet Krypton, or something.  They are astonished that someone would have 4 Children!  

Today when we were out shopping as a family I found myself being very self conscious.  Now I'm showing pretty good, you can definitely tell I'm not just gaining weight, and I know with all three trailing behind people must think I'm crazy.  (frankly I think that sometimes too but that's beside the point)  I don't know if it's just me or if anyone else feels this way.  This is a pretty family friendly area, but I still get the shocked looks of strangers.  I wonder what they would say if I told them I was carrying triplets... I'm just not that quick to think of things like that (NO, I am not really carrying triplets)

So I guess all of you mom's with lots of kids (that would be more than 1 in today's society) Do people think we're crazy?

Comments

karen said…
YES!!! I was out playing with the younger 2 at a park and someone comment on them and was shocked when I said I had 2 more at school too. Got the same comment. I would think we are a small family when you hear about the Gosslins and the Duggars of the world. I love my 4 and maybe going to 5 with in a year. I just wish 3 & 4 were a little further apart. I think I do better with more space inbetween kids but think Josh and Austin will do well together as they get older. They will only be 1 grade different in school. Hope you are felling well. Happy Easter tomorrow.!!!!!
Unknown said…
Just tell people that these are 3 (0r 4) of 12 or 15. Or how about, "oh them, they're my grandkids". Try that and see how it goes. Some people can be rude just be glad they're not relatives.
I got that alot especially since mine were all so close together. I was preg and carrying a baby that could not yet walk.
Mary said…
Oh yes! I know all about that. With my last one, my neighbor said, "What are you going to have 20 kids or something?" No, 5, not really as outrageous, but I guess close to 20... I met someone (not LDS) who has 6 kids and I asked her if people just died, but she said that after 5 people just think you're crazy and ignore you.
Willow said…
Yep, we get comments, but not very often. People's comments are mostly out of sympathy because my little ones are all boys (I am sure Melsy gets much the same).

I do LOVE to see my neighbor's eyes pop out of his head every time I mention that Russ and I may have more. He is overwhelmed (not so much his wife... she is fine) with one child and can't imagine how life would be with two. I have tried to tell him life with kids gets better and easier (they play together, you know what to expect, etc.), but he just can't comprehend such a thing.
Karrie said…
Yes. And, YES. I've been tempted to make a shirt that says: "Yes they are all mine. And yes I am crazy. So what?" That's for the grocery store. Then I'd have another one for when we are in open spaces: "Have you seen my third child? His name is Ed." It would save me a lot of trouble.

Popular posts from this blog

34 Reasons Why I Love You

Sometimes life changes and we are all trying to catch up