My kids are smart in spite of me
I feel like a slacker mom lately. I was whining to my mom the other day that C can't even sing his ABC's yet, and can't spell his name out loud. He has another year before he starts school, but I really need to start getting my rear in gear and teach him something. Well today I was cooking lunch and asked him if he could spell his name, this is our conversation:
Me: C can you spell your name?
C: Yes, C ..... (he spells it perfectly, which surprised me)
Me: Wow, C that's really great.
C: Yeah, mom I can even write it.
Me: No you can't.
C: Yes, I can mom, watch.
He proceeds to go and get a crayon and paper and writes his name perfectly! Now I'm pretty amazed, and feel like a HUGER slacker because I did not even know he could do this. So in spite of my slackingness as a mom my kids learn stuff! Thank goodness for great teachers, and big sisters, that force him to play school all the time.
Comments
I figure, what are they going to learn in Kindergarten if they start ALREADY knowing everything?
Then again, Mia (and even Adelaide) probably have more letter-recognition & writing skills than Adam. - And Mia is going to Kinder this next year & Adelaide still has another after that.
I'm totally grateful that my kids learn in spite of me. - Just reinforces my thinking...NO HOMESCHOOL for us. NO WAY!!!