Eating our way through the DEEP SOUTH!

The other day we were camping in Stone Mountain, Georgia and C says he wants to go on a hike. So Chris says, "OK C, I'll take you on a hike". Well their hike consisted of them walking to the Pavilion at our camp ground to get on the WIFI. C decided that he had been cheated and told his dad that it was a "Fake Hike". I told C if you wanted a real hike you needed to be born in a different family but if you wanted to eat at really good restaurants on a vacation you came to the right one!

Shall we start with Savannah? If we did NOTHING else on this trip, I wanted to eat at The Lady and Son's Restaurant. I have been watching Paula Deen since her debut on the Food Network and have been a huge fan ever since. Have you tried my "Not-Yo-Mamma's" Banana pudding, or my easy rolls, or my stuffed chicken, or my Ooey Gooey Butter Cake... the list goes on. So we had my FIL get a reservation for lunch. I checked out the menu on line so I would be prepared to have my perfect order. I even devised a plan that included the children ordering the buffet so I could "sample" everything on it.

Let's just say the plan worked perfectly! It was delicious and did not disappoint. I had the Crab Cake Burger, definitely worth the 1200 mile drive, and the freakin' humidity! I felt like popping but it did not stop me from sampling everyone elses stuff, fried chicken, ribs, corn bread, sweet potatoes... etc. I don't have a picture yet of us gorging ourselves my in-laws had the camera ready but I'm sure we looked like stuffed pigs afterward.

picture disclaimer: I am not wearing any make up nor did I do my hair for any picture taken in the south, it wasn't worth the effort.

Savannah was a beautiful town if you stayed in the old part. If you left the "tour" you were in the middle of the ghetto. We spent most of our time in the hotel room that Chris' parents had just to keep cool. The next day we did got to the beach (the actual beach with real salt water, not this huge lake up north all you Illinois people call a beach). I got to put my feet in the Atlantic Ocean, but decided I would take the Pacific any day.



On our way to the ocean we discovered Uncle Bubba's Oyster House. If anyone is a fan of Paula's (we are on a first name basis now that I've peed in her bathroom) you know she host's her show Paula's Party from her Uncle's Oyster House. It was wonderful, roll you eyes in the back of your head and take you out in a wheel barrow wonderful! Of course I sampled every one's plate, we all did, but my shrimp salad sandwich took the prize. YUMMO!



We had to say good bye to Chris parents and brother (man am I gonna miss him, O cries again when I do her hair) on Monday and headed to Stone Mountain. We really didn't eat anything too spectacular there, mostly just cold cereal, and sandwiches, which was great cuz it was so stinkin' hot. We did take a scenic train ride that the kids loved and swam in the pool. It was beautiful and the campground had fun things going all the time. The kids got to go to day camp each day, and they had a breakfast social every morning.


Today we are in Georgia still but right on the Tennessee boarder, close to Chattanooga, so we asked around for some good Tennessee BBQ. Taking the suggestion of our camp ground host we went to Sugar's Ribs, you do have to pronounce it Shugga's Ribs to get the right affect. Again, we were not disappointed. A rack of ribs, a brisket, corn on the cob, and grilled okra later we came out happy campers (literally). Chris is now plotting a "comparison restaurant" for tomorrow.

Comments

Karrie said…
Aack! You are on a dream vacation of ours- eating your way through the south. Have fun, and I'm jealous!
Tam said…
Sounds filling - nothing is better then southern cooking. My dad would be so jealous if he knew what you were doing!!

I'm so glad you posted tonight - I have missed you. Can't wait till your home so we can chat.

I have a tip for you to use during your trip. Take a hair rubberband and hook it to your button on your pants. Take the other end and pull it threw the loop and then hook that one on your button. You can eat all you want AND your pants will stay on. Works great.
Willow said…
Oh WOW!!! Next year I am so going with you guys on vacation. I don't even care where we venture to... we know the food will be good. =)

Popular posts from this blog

34 Reasons Why I Love You

Sometimes life changes and we are all trying to catch up