My Traumatic Day

The title of this post should be "My Traumatic Week". (because it's all about me, right? Even though O had the worst of it) It has been one that will go down in our family history. Remember the time when we had no phone or Internet for a week? Remember the time that O had that horrible tooth ache? Remember the summer that was so rainy and cool that we couldn't go outside and play and drove Mom crazy? Remember that?

It started on Sunday when O's teachers in Primary gave her Swedish Fish. No big deal except one of the fish made her tooth hurt. Well, she's a bit of a drama queen so I gave her some Motrin and decided to wait. Finally on Thursday I was able to get her into the dentist. He was a new dentist that we were trying out, big mistake. He found a filling that had been pulled loose and instead of putting a new one in or even a temporary he said I should have 4 of her baby teeth capped and she needed to see an Orthodontist... WHAT? He gave me an estimate of $650 for the whole "work up". Well I started crying and left, and promptly called our other dentist to get a second opinion. they got me an appointment for Monday but that was 5 more days of pain for Miss O.

So I was the squeaky wheel and called several times to see if they had a cancellation. Finally Friday afternoon they said come in. I knew that it was bad but when the dentist said, "abscess, we'll have to extract" I almost cried, in fact O did cry. He also told me that there was no reason to put caps on baby teeth and that I just needed to come back with the x-rays and he would fix us up.

The "extraction" was horrible, I think I'll have post traumatic stress for the rest of my life about it. She screamed the whole time and kept telling him it was hurting her. The whole pulling process took about 7 seconds but it was the worst 7 seconds of my life. She had me convinced that she could feel the whole thing and cried for about 45 minutes. By the time we left Wal-Mart (we use that pharmacy) she was fine and said her tooth did not hurt at all, in fact it felt better than before. Last night I went into her room after work, still filled with the guilt of having waited 3 days to call the dentist, and she finally confessed that it didn't hurt when he pulled the tooth out she was just scared. A little of the guilt receded, not much but a little. Now she is back to her old spicy self. She is smiling again and talking and generally driving her siblings crazy.

Hopefully that will not EVER have to happen again. She's pinkie promised me that she will brush and floss everyday. I pinkie promised to make sure she does.

Comments

Tam said…
Poor things - both of you. It is always hard when you don't take your kids seriously. I took K over the Rocky Mountains with two huge ear infections. She screamed the whole 4 hours and all I kept saying was pop your ears because I thought she was just being dramatic because her ears wouldn't pop!!!
Jen Wolff said…
Nothing like getting a tooth pulled to convinve kiddos to brush AND floss. Definitely traumatic.
AndieF said…
Oh, poor you guys! It has been a bad week.

I had tooth extracted as an adult, and I think I'm still a little traumatized by it. It didn't hurt, but I could "hear" the extraction and it was AWFUL. If I thought I could get away with crying, I probably would have. But it was necessary, and I've never regretted having it done. Don't feel guilty. You were doing the right thing for O.

Popular posts from this blog

34 Reasons Why I Love You

Sometimes life changes and we are all trying to catch up