Cloth diaper Junkie
I admit that I've become a little bit of a cloth diaper junkie. The Internet is full of sites that have tons of helpful information for anyone trying to decided about cloth diapering. I've also ran into several people at work, mostly customers, that have been helpful too. Let's not forget to mention all of my Crunchy Granola friends here in Illinois that have been sooo encouraging and supportive, shout out to Mary, Lisa, and Jennifer!!!
I have been using almost all of my spare time to make my own diapers. Yes, I said make. I posted a few months back that I was going to delve into this adventure, and let me say it has been just that, an adventure. For me the decision was all about the $$$$$. Do the math and you will see that if you are all about saving money aka CHEAP, this is the route for you.
There are lots of premade cloth diapers out there that you can buy, and they all have the cutest names like, Bum Genius, Fuzzi Bunz, and Tiny Tush, just to name a few. They also come with a price tag that is not as cute. I know there are some non-sewers out there that need these brands, luckily I am not one of them. On the advice of one of my customers I found a website that had a free pattern. I downloaded the pattern and quickly realized that I needed some major alterations, but now I had an idea of what a pattern should look like. So without further adieu here are my diaper creations:
No, this is not all of them only about half. They are the small size, they will fit a baby 10-20lbs. Aren't they cute?!
Inside they have a pocket that you slip a micro fiber towel into so they are really absorbent.
The elastic on the top is adjustable to allow for growth. It takes me about 1/2 hour to make 1 diaper, not too bad. I have given one to a friend to try out for me and she says they are good, so I'm trusting her judgement and made these the same way I made hers. I've made them a couple of different ways some with flannel on the inside and some with just cotton fabric, we'll see how the cotton works. They are water proof so all I will need is this diaper, no cover.
As far as cleaning them out... that part is not going to be fun but they do make these sprayers that attach to your toilet, kinda like a sink sprayer. They make clean up a lot easier.
Well wish me luck or call me crazy!
Comments
Again, they look ADORABLE!
Good luck - obviously these look great!!!
Yes, the cost of pre-made cloth diapers was outragious, and my sewing skills are practically non-existent. However, I find your new endevor completely admirable... and awesome!
Please write a post after you have had a chance to try them out.
10% HuH? Well if I say I've always wanted a tattoo does that knock my score down too?