Headline: "Sewing Teacher Protests 4H Fair Judging"
As many of you know I teach sewing lessons from home. It is the highlight of my week and I love these girls that come and make beautiful things in my basement. I've gotten to be friends with their mothers, and they seem eager every week to get started on that new project.
I have one student, who was my first, that is very good at sewing (actually they all are R is just older and a little more advanced). She made a CUTE skirt to enter into our local county 4H fair. She is very meticulous about her work and sometimes takes the entire lesson to work on one part of her project just to make sure it's perfect. Did I mention that this skirt was soooo cute? Anyhoo, we went to the fair yesterday with the family, it was $1 day so going was not a huge budget crusher. I searched through all the projects to find R's skirt and was shocked at the judges "comments". The criticism they gave her was completely wrong. I am not that biased, it's just that the rules of sewing that I have always been taught and followed seemed to not apply for these people. First they said her stitches were too close together... WHAT? We used the standard stitch length. Then they said that it was sewn wrong side out... AGAIN WHAT? I'm not that stupid people and neither is R, we DID NOT sew in wrong side out!!!!! There were a few more comments, some were understandable, some not, but overall they gave her a B on her project. I PROTEST!!!!!!
Can a sewing teacher contest the 4H, does it really matter, is R even this upset about it, do we just learn from this year and suck up to their criteria next year, do I need to just take a chill pill and a Pepsi and get over it?
I better not hear any comments about how I'm pregnant and this is all blown out of proportion because of hormones... seriously I'll hunt you down!!!
On another, happier, note... Another student of mine KR also made a REALLY cute skirt and got an excellent score of A on it!!! GO KR!!! We followed the same rules of sewing, go figure! KR is doing so well during lessons, I think the more she comes the more excited she gets.
Comments
A couple of funnies about the fair - The judge of her skirt asked her why she didn't do seam finishes. Flower said "What are seam finishes?" (I am quite certain that seam finishes were not required for Division II!)
- The judge of her bag asked her some questions, and Flower came to me afterwards and said "That was fun! We were talking about sewing and what we liked about it. It was almost like she KNEW me." LOL
- She was super proud of her bag, and was sort of disappointed that it didn't win Best In Show! LOL I told her it was still pretty darn good!