Family of Steel Gets New Addition!
Last night we got a new addition to our family. It was a long hard day but finally at 8:56 our little man made an entrance into the world. I like to record birth stories so this will be my recording of his birth.
I was scheduled to be induced at 7am Friday morning. Lucky for me the hospital was on schedule and they were able to take me in right on time! They started me on the lowest possible dose of Pitocin to get me started. I think my Doctor thought that's all I would need and I'd be delivered by lunch... boy was he wrong. This little guy was holding on for dear life. By 1:00 I was not progressing so Dr came and broke my water. Usually this is all it takes for me to go into active labor, again not the case. By 5:30 I was still not really feeling much pain. My contractions were mild and still 3 minutes apart, so Dr. came and checked me again. We found out that I had two sacks of water, I guess this is very rare, so he broke the second sack and it was GAME ON!!
I'm not an epidural girl, never have been, so I requested my "happy drugs" shortly thereafter and was very relieved when I got them and they sped up the process just like in all my deliveries before. After the first dose wore off I begged to get a second dose (my nurse rocked and took pity on me) which I got about 15 minutes before I delivered. So needless to say for about 1 1/2 hours after birth I was a little loopy. Thank goodness I never tried drugs as a teenager, who knows what would have happened!
I only pushed for about 8-10 minutes and baby L was born. It was my fastest delivery yet, and he ended up breaking his collarbone in the process. He doesn't have any problems with it, we didn't even know it was broken until the Pediatrician told us this morning.
He came out looking a lot like O with dark curly hair. She was thrilled to have a sibling look like her since the other two look exactly like me. So far he is a sweet baby, doesn't really fuss much, but I have to remember that he had drugs too! Hopefully this will be his personality. The rest of the kids got to come today and see him, they passed him around for about 2 hours and he didn't even open his eyes the whole time they were here.
Our hospital experience has been great. The nursing staff is wonderful and were very helpful during delivery. I have to say I have had my fair share of hospital food in my life and this hospital's food is great. I haven't had a thing that has not been really good, or maybe I'm just really hungry!
It was really fun updating all of our friends and family yesterday on Facebook. I know some of you thought we were crazy but you have to remember that we are the gadget family. I also know some of you were surprised by L's middle name, you knew we had to pay homage to "the man" and since Chris would not let me name him Kent, or Bruce (Batman), I had to slip a little Super in there somewhere. I do have to say my mom thought we were crazy but then she had to admit that it does have a ring with the rest of his name.
We get to come home tomorrow and are really excited to be sharing our lives with this little guy.
Comments