Tis' the Reason for the Season

I've been thinking a lot about the title of this post. I find myself getting caught up in the commercialism of it all. Wishing I could get my kids and hubby every single thing their hearts desire, wishing I could get every single thing my heart desires, and feeling self conscious when I hear of all the wonderful things others are getting for Christmas. Then I take a step back and ask myself a few questions (actually my sweet husband reminds me of these things) who is the one freaking out about gifts, me or the children? Usually it's just me, the kids are completely happy with whatever they get. Is it going to matter if the children have an equal number of gifts? Not really there is so much going on Christmas morning, they don't even know how many gifts they have let alone everyone else. Do the children NEED a bunch of new and expensive things? Well that one is easy NO, just look at the messes in their rooms and you will see they have plenty!

As I look around my house today I see it is like Santa's workshop. Everyone is busy making gifts, wrapping gifts, and generally in a great mood. I know we will have a great day tomorrow, and hopefully among all the present mayhem we will remember that the reason we celebrate Christmas is not for the gifts we receive but for the gift our Heavenly Father gave us, His Son Jesus Christ.

Comments

Karrie said…
Our kids get one gift each for Christmas. Nothing from Mom and Dad, but that's mostly because of the lack of space, no tree, etc... I'd like to keep it low key always, with a santa gift and on gift from mom, and one from dad. And not huge. Don't worry about the expensive stuff- your kids won't remember the gifts, they'll remember the feelings.

Popular posts from this blog

34 Reasons Why I Love You

Sometimes life changes and we are all trying to catch up