She didn't get that from me
Most people know I don't have a musical bone in my body. I did play the piano when I was young, and if I do say so myself I was pretty good. However I was young and stupid and whined, and begged for my mom to not make me practice, or take lessons anymore. So she did what any self respecting mother of three who was soooo tired of the fighting and whining and carrying on would have done, she let me quit. A decision I will regret probably for the rest of my life.
Fast forward 20ish years and now I have a daughter that loves music. I was shocked last year when she got up in front of the entire ward and sang in the talent show, I was excited when she performed a solo in chorus at school, I'm impressed when I hear her practice the violin and it doesn't sound too much like screeching cats, hey I can actually tell what song she's playing! So when she asked if she could join the choir at church I wasn't too surprised. We've been getting to church early the past few weeks so she can practice, and yesterday was her first "performance" with them. She was very nervous, so nervous in fact I thought she was gonna hurl before it was time for them to sing. Despite her nervous stomach she was able to get up and follow right along, she even stood up straight and didn't look at all like she was gonna blow chunks all over the pianist!
This is one aspect in her life that she is going to have to navigate alone, or at least without family help. I can't read music anymore, I have no idea what the difference is between an Alto and a Soprano, and I definitely don't know how to hit those high notes. Chris and I... well let's just say angels lose their wings, and fairies die when we sing. This is also a time when I am so grateful for women in the church that are talented in things I am no good at and who are willing to help teach my children. We are all looking forward to hearing our choir now more than ever and O is counting the days when she can join her sister.
All I can say is they don't get this from me!
Comments
I am on the other hand . . . I WANTED piano lessons and we could never afford them. I started lessons several times in my adulthood. The last time before I found out I was pregnant with Matthew.
Matthew LOVES music . . . all kinds. I laugh when we go to Tennessee because all he wants to listen to is country music! At home . . . he loves ALL kinds! He so WANTS to join the Ward choir and gave me second looks when he saw the kids going up yesterday.
We are hoping to start him in piano soon . . . if we can find a teacher that has any openings!!
Didn't know this was K's first time . . . she looked like a pro!!
P.S. I never knew the difference between Soprano, Alto, etc., until I joined the church. I sang in our Ward choir and had no clue as to where to go. The director had me sing (ha!) and put me in the Alto section. I thought the Alto section was for those who didn't know how to carry a tune in a bucket because the sister next to me . . . was AWFUL!! It wasn't until YEARS later that I found out differently! Of course . . . now I'm a Bass!! :)