Mommy and L's Big Adventure!
Last Tuesday I got up at 2:00am (woke at 1:30 and laid there for a 1/2 hour) got myself dressed, drug the baby out of bed and headed to St. Louis for my 7:30am flight. We did great on the way down. He only cried a little and I pulled over and fed him and he was good. I didn't even have to pee! I waited until we got to the airport to eat, so it was a lot better than I expected. Our flight to Phoenix was very non-eventful. Things were going great, until... (insert dun, dun, dun...) I got on the plane to go to Long Beach and realized that L had pooped all over the place, out his pants, all over me, the stroller E-V-E-R-Y-W-H-E-R-E! I think the plane was the smallest one in history and there was NO place to change him. We were already delayed and the passengers were getting a bit pushy, and the flight attendant was from H-E-Double-Hockey-Sticks! She told me there was no place for him and he'd have to wait. Seriously wait an hour and 1/2 in poopy pants, the guy next to me was not gonna like this. Finally I just pushed my way into the bathroom and changed him on the toiled seat with me hanging out the door (we both couldn't fit in there). I went back to our seat with him only in a diaper and put his clothes on him while we took off. WHEW!
L's first flight
My mom and dad and SIL and my nephew E met us at the airport and took us promptly to lunch cuz I was gonna eat someone if they didn't. We ended up spending the night at Bryan and Trina's house. They just bought a really cute house in So. Cal. It's a great location and home, and they have fixed it up so cute already. I can't wait to see the finished product, although we all know that once you finish a house you move!
Bryan's dog Sydney cleaning boogers, or French kissing we can't decide which!
The next day we drove to mom and dad's house and rested the rest of the day. On Thursday I was so excited to see my Grandma I could hardly stand it. It's been so long, and she hadn't seen the baby yet. Her and John came over for lunch, we had a really good visit. She loved L and he really took to her also. After they left we took E and L to the park. Bryan and Trina let us kidnap E for the night so I got a chance to know him. I was missing my buddy C a lot and they are only 9 months apart so it was nice to have a little boy around.
E is very different from my kids, he's calm and quiet, not at all like his cousins. They would run him ragged. He's very smart and really into cars, like his dad. He had me wrapped around his little finger in no time. We were eating guacamole and he doesn't like tomatoes, so I picked all the tomatoes out of his serving. Afterward I realized that I would have just told my own kids to deal with it, I guess that's the difference between being a mom and being an aunt!
Friday we took Bryan and E to the beach for clam chowder. I know it seems crazy to drive 2 1/2 hours one way for chowder, but if you tasted it you would understand. Splash Cafe is the BEST in the world. I took a picture to torture my family.
I could have touched this pelican it was so close, but I value my fingers too much.
Saturday was spend with Penny and Chris' family. She picked me up early and we went to breakfast, then some shopping at the mall, Costco, and the grocery store, and we had new bras and all the fixings for a Low Country Boil. If you've never had one, you really should! Basically you boil potatoes, corn, garlic, Old Bay seasoning, shrimp, sausage, crab, muscles, scallops, whatever kind of seafood you like in a huge pot. you drain the water off and pour it all out on newspaper and dig in. No forks, no plates, no napkins. It was a free-for-all and you really have to watch yourself around those boys (Chris' brothers), they will take a finger off if you get in the way of their crab legs.
It was so fun to see Alan's girls, I hadn't seen them in a few years and guess what... they are all grown up. C and H are beautiful young women and they really liked their cousin L.
The last two days were spend visiting and lounging, we had dinner with grandma and John again on Sunday and went to Bryan's on Monday night. I was sad to leave everyone behind, but glad to get home to the other kiddos. It's always bitter sweet leaving. I got home around 9 last night and I've never been so happy to get off a plane in my life. I really had flying, I mean really hate it. Our last flight was so bumpy that I almost had a panic attack, but kept it together because I had the baby. The guy next to me ordered a glass of wine, and really part of me was tempted, really tempted, but I resisted and all turned out fine. Besides who knows what would have happened, I've never drank before, I would probably have been drunk after one glass and not been able to drive home. Now that would have been a story worth blogging about!
Comments