All HALE!





Most of you that know me know that I love to read. I don't read for great literary content, I don't read to "help" myself, I don't even read non-fiction to learn more about real life, I read for fun. I want a book to take me into it's world and lose me there. I want a book to make me forget about my dishes, and laundry, and the guy at the grocery store who stole my parking spot, and my feet hurting so bad from work. I want a book to take me OUT of real life and plunk me down deep right in it's fantasy.

My friends here introduced me to an author named Shannon Hale. She has written lots of books ranging from Young Adult Fiction, to Adult Fiction. I have only read the Young Adult books (with plans to read them all) and have loved each one. My favorite has to be Book of a Thousand Days, if you haven't read it you should. I am a lover of books, however I am not a purchaser of books. I don't typically reread them, so mostly I borrow from the library, or purchase second hand, and quickly pass them along. There are some instances where I do purchase a new book and hold onto it for dear life and reread the crud out of it. This is one of those instances, I know I will read this book over and over, so I purchased it to take to a Shannon Hale book signing my friends invited me to last night.

It was my first book signing so I was nervous. I don't read Shannon Hale's blog, I don't follow her on her website, if I had passed her on the street before the signing I wouldn't have known who she was, I don't aspire to be an author, I don't even for the life of me remember the characters names in most of her books, but I love her writing. I was just a lowly fan, with one paperback book to have signed, what was I going to say to her for the 20 whole seconds it would take for her to sign my name and hers??? Like so many things in my life this was something new and it terrified me. Now that it's over and I didn't say something stupid and she was very sweet and funny and nice I wonder what I was so worried about. Now I'm a book signing PRO!!!

Along with being an award winning author, mother, wife, going on this book tour, and being pregnant with twins, she is also Primary President in her Ward...CrAzY lady, or should we say Wonder Woman? I highly recommend her books, they are great literature, they have endearing characters, and are very refreshing.

It was hard for all of us mom's to get away on a weekday like that. Between the four of us we have 18 children, who had to be at various activities. Tuesday nights are our ward's mutual/scouts nights, so we had children who had to be at Young Women's, Young Men's, and Scouts. We have hubby's that are in the YM presidency, Ward Mission Leader, and Bishop. One of us had a nursing baby at home that was left with only 4 ounces of milk to last 8 hours, and some of us relied on older children to be home and baby sit. The amount of rearranging that our families did so that we could attend this fun event was very much appreciated, we are all lucky to have such great husbands that encourage us to take time for ourselves and seize the opportunities that will only come along once!

Comments

Normal Mom said…
Beautifully put! I am on cloud nine from just meeting her. She was so great to "go to work" like that for us despite all that is going on in her personal life.
I am going to reread Austenland as soon as all the craziness of dance/piano recitals is over. It will take me away...
I'm so glad you came!
Stacey said…
I am with you 100% on why I read. I hate when people over analyze every book they read. I just want to be entertained...I am simple like that :) Glad you could get away!
Mary said…
Wonderful recap of our night. Can I just borrow that for my blog? Maybe I will. It was fun!
Anonymous said…
Sounds like you all had a wonderful time! I too am just a lowly fan. I have only read The Princess Academy and loved it. I too love to be taken away in books but I must say I find myself in some fiction and self helps too. I just like to read. Awesome that you could get away!!!
Willow said…
I loved AustenLand. Loved, loved, LOVED IT!! Of course, I do have a tiny bit of Darcy-lust... =)

I'm glad you had a fun night.
Jen said…
I came over from Mary's blog, and I am SOO excited to have read this post! I didn't know some of those details about Shannon Hale, although I follow her blog faithfully and have a celebrity death crush on her and her authorial awesomeness. I was in an elevator with her once at Ikea, and it was wonderful and horrible! I forgot to push the button to go down, and I didn't say anything because I was overcome with awe. I am happy for your good experience with the book signing. My philosophy of book purchasing/reading is similar to yours, but I have all of her works that I have read.
The Queen Bee said…
Jen thanks for coming by and commenting. I hate to say it but you should have talked to her...she is NICE...you missed out. Not to make you feel bad or anything!

Nice to meet you.
Karrie said…
I have "A Book of a Thousand" days, and I loved it. I haven't read any more of her yet, but will shortly. I had no idea she was LDS. Not that that matters, but it's always cool to have something in common with an author you like. Thanks for reminding me to reserve some of her books for myself at the library- although I was thinking of adding some nice hard bound editions for my girls to read as the get older. (my 1000 days is hard cover, and it's beautiful.) We seem to share the same taste in books.

Popular posts from this blog

34 Reasons Why I Love You

Sometimes life changes and we are all trying to catch up