Ponderings
Lately I've been wondering about some things. Everywhere I go I hear people say things to me about my kids. Mostly they are comments about how many I have, like I'm crazy for having so many, and they've never seen someone with more. HELLO, just watch TV and you'll see there's people with WAY more kids than me, John and Kate, Octo-Mom, the Duggers, just to name a few. I also get a lot of comments to the affect that I should enjoy this time. That's the question that hits me the hardest. I try and enjoy as much as I can but what do I have to cherish and what can I just be grateful is behind me???...
For example, do I have to be grateful that within 2 minutes of getting dressed every morning my shirt is covered in boogers and spit up? Do I have to be grateful for globs of toothpaste in the bathroom sink? Or for Cheerios on my floor. Am I supposed to be happy to see toys on the same stairs that I so frequently fall down? Will I have fond memories of breast infections, and sleepless nights? Will I wish that I had 20 more loads of laundry to do? Maybe I'll long for the days when I was excited to grocery shop, and the highlights of my days were using the bathroom cuz that's the only place I can really be alone (and even that is questionable). I've come to the conclusion that I don't have to enjoy these things, or even like them but I may someday actually miss them...weird.
I do however enjoy slobbery, boogery kisses from the baby, and T-Rex hugs from C. I love sitting at the table and talking about our days over dinner. I will definitely miss cooking big dinners and having the neighbor kids running in and out. I will also miss hearing the kids play together and use their imagination and get along (It's rare but it happens!). I may even miss the occasional Cheerio on the floor, and the chaos which is our house, but NOT the laundry.
I posted at the beginning of the year that I was going to work on slowing down and enjoying my family more, well I think I've done a pretty good job so far. Don't get me wrong I do have the occasional emotional melt down, who doesn't, but for the most part I'm taking life as it comes and learning to enjoy the ride.
Comments