Death by candy...well almost

Today I was soooo glad that I had taken several first aid classes.  I never thought I'd actually have to use them in my life, at least I was hoping that I'd never have to use them in my life.  Well today I had to use the Heimlich Maneuver!  I was doing my hair and K was watching the baby on my bed, all of the sudden she just runs out of the room.  Of course I just thought she was slacking on the job and left the baby alone to fall off and get a concussion.  I'm yelling at her to get back in here when she comes back to the room she is gasping for air, and points to her throat and says, "stuck".  I just stood there looking at her thinking, well she's coughing (which is a good sign) and kind of talking.  All of the sudden she starts gurgling and whispers, "help me!".  I went right into action, I turned her around and gave her the HM and the candy shot right out of her throat and hit the floor!  We had to stand there and hold each other for probably like a whole minute, I was crying, and she was shaking.

After it was all over she kept telling me thank you for saving her life.  Now she has a new lease on life, she told me she realized how fragile life is and all it takes is one piece of candy to end it all!!  Yeah, she's a little dramatic, but she's been really nice to her siblings since then.  Sad that it took a near death experience, well not really a near death, she also told me she did not see a light.

Comments

Stacey said…
I am so happy she didnt' "see the light." I had a "near death experience" when living in England and I still think of it often! I know how "K" feels.
Mary said…
That is so scary! I'm glad that you had the presence of mind to do something. I might have just panicked! That is sweet that she learned something from the experience!

Popular posts from this blog

34 Reasons Why I Love You

Sometimes life changes and we are all trying to catch up