I may be going to H-E-Double-Hockey-Sticks for this post
I am sooooooo glad yesterday is over. It was one of those days when I was thinking, "What have I gotten myself into?". A friend of a friend of a friend needed some mending done on some clothes she had. This is an older woman who lives in a retirement home and does not have access to a sewing machine, and lives on a fixed income. No sweat, I need a service project in my life, and what's an hour out of my day to help someone out?
When you think of MENDING what comes to mind?
A seam that needs repair, a hole in a pair of pants, maybe a button sewn on? That sound about right?
WRONG!
Apparently this woman considers taking a blouse, and a pair of pants down TWO sizes 'mending'...in my book that is a full blown, major, alteration! This was in addition to her actual mending that she needed done, repairing the handles of a tote bag, sewing the seam on a scarf, adding new elastic to pants, and covering a logo on another tote bag. She also wanted to stay and wait for these things to be finished, SWEET!
I can sew, I can sew pretty well if I do say so myself, I have however never done alterations. I can hem pants, add or subtract elastic, I can follow a pattern just fine, but fitting an entire blouse to someone, and taking in the seat of a pair of pants is not on my sewing resume. So off I go to cut into this woman's clothing, on a wing and a prayer hoping that she doesn't keel over in my family room because her clothes are not just right. Here are a few things I learned along the way:
1. A shout out to all my friends, if I EVER smell like pee/BO when I get old please TELL ME! I would not be offended if you said, "Hey sweetie, let's go shopping today they have Depends on sale... Oh, let's splurge and get the deodorant kind, and oh look, Secret is on sale too!" I figure I can't really rely on Chris for this one cuz he lives with me and may not be able to smell it.
2. Do not under any circumstance let me wear a mumu outside of my own home. I can see that mumu's are comfy and cool, as in temperature wise, but they are not however cool as in stylish wise!
3. If I ever get to the stage in my life where sitting around in your bra and panties in a strangers home in front of their 5 year old boy is ok, just shoot me please. I had to send C up to watch a movie because I didn't want him to go blind.
4. I hope that I also never get to the point where peeing at someones home with the door open is acceptable.
5. If I have a pair of pants for 20 years I hope in that 20 years I would have saved up enough money to buy a new pair of pants.
6. Just an FYI for everyone out there, if you are going to have your clothes altered or mended PLEASE wash them before you take them to the seamstress/tailor...P-L-E-A-S-E!!!!! All I have to say is EEEWWW (refer to #1 if you are not getting my drift).
7. No matter how cute the blouse is it's not worth buying it 2 sizes too big just because they don't have that color in your size, it's just not.
8. Carrying around a tote bag advertising an insurance company does not make you elderly, the fact that you are elderly makes you elderly. She had me cover up a logo on a tote bag because she didn't want anyone knowing she was elderly. (it was cute that she didn't want to seem 'old', although the mumu gave it away)
9. I think I need to take a class or become an apprentice to a tailor so I can develop that skill, it would be a great one to have.
10. Older people are hilarious, and those that work with them for extended periods of time are saints! I will appreciate those that tolerate my eccentricities when I am old.
3 1/2 hour later I was finished with most of her projects, we will be having another session soon...Lucky me! All in all it was an interesting day, She was very sweet, but also very particular about her things, and we had some very good conversation. I hope someone is nice to me when I am old even if they have to disinfect their couch after my visit.
When you think of MENDING what comes to mind?
A seam that needs repair, a hole in a pair of pants, maybe a button sewn on? That sound about right?
WRONG!
Apparently this woman considers taking a blouse, and a pair of pants down TWO sizes 'mending'...in my book that is a full blown, major, alteration! This was in addition to her actual mending that she needed done, repairing the handles of a tote bag, sewing the seam on a scarf, adding new elastic to pants, and covering a logo on another tote bag. She also wanted to stay and wait for these things to be finished, SWEET!
I can sew, I can sew pretty well if I do say so myself, I have however never done alterations. I can hem pants, add or subtract elastic, I can follow a pattern just fine, but fitting an entire blouse to someone, and taking in the seat of a pair of pants is not on my sewing resume. So off I go to cut into this woman's clothing, on a wing and a prayer hoping that she doesn't keel over in my family room because her clothes are not just right. Here are a few things I learned along the way:
1. A shout out to all my friends, if I EVER smell like pee/BO when I get old please TELL ME! I would not be offended if you said, "Hey sweetie, let's go shopping today they have Depends on sale... Oh, let's splurge and get the deodorant kind, and oh look, Secret is on sale too!" I figure I can't really rely on Chris for this one cuz he lives with me and may not be able to smell it.
2. Do not under any circumstance let me wear a mumu outside of my own home. I can see that mumu's are comfy and cool, as in temperature wise, but they are not however cool as in stylish wise!
3. If I ever get to the stage in my life where sitting around in your bra and panties in a strangers home in front of their 5 year old boy is ok, just shoot me please. I had to send C up to watch a movie because I didn't want him to go blind.
4. I hope that I also never get to the point where peeing at someones home with the door open is acceptable.
5. If I have a pair of pants for 20 years I hope in that 20 years I would have saved up enough money to buy a new pair of pants.
6. Just an FYI for everyone out there, if you are going to have your clothes altered or mended PLEASE wash them before you take them to the seamstress/tailor...P-L-E-A-S-E!!!!! All I have to say is EEEWWW (refer to #1 if you are not getting my drift).
7. No matter how cute the blouse is it's not worth buying it 2 sizes too big just because they don't have that color in your size, it's just not.
8. Carrying around a tote bag advertising an insurance company does not make you elderly, the fact that you are elderly makes you elderly. She had me cover up a logo on a tote bag because she didn't want anyone knowing she was elderly. (it was cute that she didn't want to seem 'old', although the mumu gave it away)
9. I think I need to take a class or become an apprentice to a tailor so I can develop that skill, it would be a great one to have.
10. Older people are hilarious, and those that work with them for extended periods of time are saints! I will appreciate those that tolerate my eccentricities when I am old.
3 1/2 hour later I was finished with most of her projects, we will be having another session soon...Lucky me! All in all it was an interesting day, She was very sweet, but also very particular about her things, and we had some very good conversation. I hope someone is nice to me when I am old even if they have to disinfect their couch after my visit.
Comments
You are a saint!
My grandma was VERY concerned about her personal hygiene. When I stayed with her, she made me promise to let her know if she smelled bad. She kept tic tacs on her person at all times and was particular about her bathing. And she tailored her own clothes until she went blind. Then she just told my mom how to do it. That's the kind of old lady I want to be. But your new friend sounds highly entertaining.
BTW - Maybe they have some class you could take @ Heartland? My Mom took an alterations class @ the community college near us before I got married. She enjoyed getting out of the house for a few Saturdays to do something interesting.