Crazy Illinois Weather

I haven't blogged about the weather in a long time.  When we first moved here every thunderstorm, snow storm, ice storm, was a cause for a blog post.  Then I got used to it.  Every night in the summer (practically) the thunder rolls in and if you've seen one snow storm you've seen them all.  Well last night was unreal (in my opinion)!  To tell the truth I am completely afraid of thunderstorms.  Not because the thunder is loud and scary, but because here a thunderstorm can mean a tornado.  Last night however I was afraid of the storm itself, I had listened to the news, and our weather radio keeps me up to date with watches, and warnings so I knew we were not under tornado watches.  I happened to get up in the middle of it all and was looking out my bathroom window when a bolt of lightning struck VERY close to my house.  Everyone has seen the spidery fingers of lightening in the sky before, they seem far off, unable to touch us...well this lightening was HUGE!  I swear it looked a foot wide, and was so bright I had to shield my eyes when it hit.  At first I thought it hit The Monstrosity (our play set, yes we have a name for our play set) but it didn't.  Luckily it doesn't appear that any damage was done.

I was so glad all of my family was home safe and no one was out driving, or anything.

Comments

corn fed girl said…
I LOVE storms...until they eat my grill cover (dude...where's my cover?) make children cry, make the dog pace & drool & keep me up at night.
Stacey said…
This has definitely been some crazy weather! I have lived in Illinois my whole life (minus 6 years) and I have never been affected by a tornado or lightning. I am trying to make you feel better :)
AndieF said…
I keep thinking that it is rainier this year than last year, but then I go back to blog posts from last June, and I was complaining about the rain a lot, so maybe not. LOL

We had lightening VERY close to our house yesterday too. That is the closest I've ever seen in all the years I've been here.

So I probably shouldn't tell you when I was a kid and living in Champaign that our house was hit by a tornado and took the chimney off????
The Queen Bee said…
Took the chimney off? No biggie, as long as it doesn't take off with us and the children I'm good.

Oh, and Stacey when people tell me they've lived somewhere and have never been affected by a tornado I always figure they are due up!

Nothing makes me feel better about the weather... Give me an earthquake any day!
Mary said…
I was shaking last night! But the kids all slept through it amazingly enough! I was a little worried about my older two out camping!
The Queen Bee said…
I was shaking too Mary, poor Chris was sandwiched between C and I!!
Melody said…
How come we did not get that weather when we were visiting? We are hoping when we come in Sept. we will see some real midwest weather. We did like the thunder and lightning on our last night there though we need more!!

Popular posts from this blog

34 Reasons Why I Love You

Sometimes life changes and we are all trying to catch up