Thing 3 and a Giveaway!!!!

Thang 3:

Thing 3 is the thing that if you spend 30 seconds with me you will know how much I love it, it's sewing!  I started sewing when I was 8ish years old.  My mom bought me a brand spankin' new Kenmore sewing machine.  Nothin' fancy just straight stitches and zig-zag.  That thing still works and I owned it until last year when I sold it on Craig's list.  It was just taking up space and had a little bobbin issue so off it went.  I was excited that a design student from ISU bought it and was excited to fix it and start creating.  Makes me feel like it will still live on.

My first project was a doll outfit.  My Girl Scout troop collected a bunch of old, naked, baby dolls and cleaned them and each of us got one to make an outfit for, then we donated them to the local children's home.  Kinda like the Jameson center for all you Bako peeps.  I remember my mom teaching me all about my machine, picking fabric, and making the most adorable pair of pj's for this tiny doll, they had lace on the collar and sleeves, and I wanted to keep her for myself.

From then on I was hooked.  I made quilts (about the size of a sheet of paper), purses, scripture bags, pillows, pillow cases, all manner of things that I could just whip together without a pattern.  I took a few years off in my High School days, you know being a teenager it wasn't "cool" to sew.  I did embroider during that time and taught myself to crochet (I don't know how crocheting could be cool, but sewing wasn't...weird) anyhoo when I met Chris I had sewn a few things for my apartment and had picked it up again.  When his mom found out I sewed she invited me over to spend a WHOLE day with her quilting.  Now, quilting and sewing are 2 different beasts, just because you know how to sew doesn't mean that you can quilt, and vise versa.  I didn't want to have anything to do with quilting.  I felt bad because she bought me all the supplies, and started me with fabric for my first project and I wasn't having any of it.

Fast forward, I married this guy with his quilting mother and about 3 years into marriage I got sick, real sick, deathly sick.  After months of testing and 2 major surgeries I needed a place to recover while Chris was at work so his mom babysat K and I every day for 3 months.  On about day 2 I was going crazy with boredom and asked her to teach me to quilt, I was hooked from that point.

I love the sound my sewing machine makes, I love the feel of new fabric, I love buying notions (way better than school supplies), I love finishing a project and seeing my handy work, I love that my kids can say, "can't you just make one Mom?", and I can answer, "sure".  I could spend literally hours in a fabric store shopping and looking at every piece of fabric.  Long story short, I heart sewing!

At the end of my week of favorite things I'm having a give away.  I mentioned it briefly at the beginning but now that I've thought it all through and have a plan I'm announcing.  One lucky winner will receive a package of things commemorating my fav's.

Shower= yummy smelly soap
Chocolate= well, chocolate
Sewing= A purse pattern

I'll post pictures tomorrow, it's late and I'm beat but if you leave a comment on any of my favorite things posts consider yourself entered into the giveaway!!!  Good luck!!!!!!!

Comments

Normal Mom said…
No wonder we get along, we like so many of the same things! Although I like to sew because it makes me feel close to my grandmother and my mom, I do dread certain things like the zipper I am going to have to put in Alanah's birthday dress. But I love that I have the ability to make things as well.
You are an expert though, I am a mere amateur.
Midwest Keech said…
If she's an amateur than I'm merely "playing around". I like doing easy things & getting creative too. I also think it's great to have wonderful ladies that can help me out when I don't quite understand an instruction or get stuck on a project. Thanks!
Whacky Wheelers said…
Both of my grandmothers could sew without a pattern and I loved their work. I remember one Grandma even made our underwear . . . and they were beautiful. Unfortunately, they both died when I was younger. My Mother had no interest in sewing.

I have always wanted to learn to sew, but it seems my Home Ec Teachers got frustrated because I was left handed. I just told them to show me and I would follow. Their frustration frustrated me and I never learned.

I hope you've had a great birthday week . . . I bought you some and will have to drop it by!
I love to sew, have three sewing machines...none of them working. :(
Always wanted to learn to quilt...one of these days.

Popular posts from this blog

34 Reasons Why I Love You

Sometimes life changes and we are all trying to catch up