A Vested Interest

A while back we decided that the kids would not have regular chores.  I would just decide at any moment which one I would like to clean something and they would clean it.  That went well for a while but then slowly it became all my job again to do EVERYTHING!  This was not working and we were going to have to fix it fast.  So last week we divided up the house chores among the children.

K= Kitchen and dining room (including dishes)
O= Bathroom and small dining room (including toilets)
C= Living room and hallway (hallway always seems to be really messy...weird)

So it's been working well, every day when the kids get home they do homework then chores.  I pick those rooms up in the morning and try my best to keep them clean all day but things get out of place.

Yesterday afternoon when the kids got home they did their chores and then we had meetings and such and things got a little hectic in the evening.  When it was time for bed C looks around the living room, gives a huge sigh of frustration and says, "AAAHHH this room WAS clean earlier!"

I love when my kids have a vested interest in keeping things clean.  Hopefully this new system will work better because if not mommy may go off the deep end.

Comments

Mary said…
That is such a great reason for kids to do chores -- so they will notice and take some stewardship over where they live! It sounds like it is working well for you -- we are always have to switch things up!

Popular posts from this blog

34 Reasons Why I Love You

Sometimes life changes and we are all trying to catch up