stuck in my craw
I'm not exactly sure what "stuck in my craw" means. I mean I know what it means when people use it as a figure of speech but I'm too lazy to Google the root of the term. Really I am that lazy...I'll wait while you Google it because I'm sure now you are wondering too...
waiting...
still waiting...
Ok, now that we have that out of the way, I'll tell you what is stuck in my craw. Honestly it's not like hurting me or anything just another something that has been on my mind for a couple days and is starting to form an entire blog post in my mind. It's this article.
http://www.timjlawrence.com/blog/2015/10/19/everything-doesnt-happen-for-a-reason
A friend posted it on Facebook and I read it and it's been eating at me ever since. I think it's bugging me because I really do not agree with it. I do believe things happen for a reason. I'm sure the window clerk at McDonald's giving me diet Coke instead of regular didn't happen for some profound REASON, nor did my kid falling off his bike or that really annoying neighbor dog barking all night. Not things like that. I mean the big things. Tragedy, loss, love, life changes, illness, children, etc. The big things...whatever that means to you.
Now the author of this article does make some great points. Having tragedy in your life changes you and sometimes it's not for the good. Sometimes it makes you hard and angry and cynical. Sometimes people never get past it. However tragedy can make you wonderful, and change your life for the better. It can make you more compassionate, and humble, and loving. It can do wonderful things. It may not feel like it at the time, it will hurt and feel like shit (yes I just cussed on my blog, because that's sometimes the only true word to use when you are going through horrible times) but if you let it tragedy can make you better. I think that's the part that this guy got wrong is he forgot to put choice into the equation, you have to choose to be changed for the good. You have to choose to be happy despite trial. Go ahead and grieve and be angry and curse God or the universe or whatever higher power you believe in, and then let it change you and make a positive out of it.
Now I'm not by any means saying that I am perfect at this because I AM NOT! I do try though. I mean I REALLY TRY! Because believing that everything happens for a reason is everything to me. If it's not happening for a reason, if I'm not supposed to grow and learn and change from a particular experience then what's the whole point of life? I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, I know where I came from and where I'm going and that means everything to me. So why wouldn't things in my life happen for a reason? We are here for a reason, we are hear for a purpose and all our experiences are molding us into what He knows we can become.
So even if the reason is to bring you closer to Him, then I'll take it.
waiting...
still waiting...
Ok, now that we have that out of the way, I'll tell you what is stuck in my craw. Honestly it's not like hurting me or anything just another something that has been on my mind for a couple days and is starting to form an entire blog post in my mind. It's this article.
http://www.timjlawrence.com/blog/2015/10/19/everything-doesnt-happen-for-a-reason
A friend posted it on Facebook and I read it and it's been eating at me ever since. I think it's bugging me because I really do not agree with it. I do believe things happen for a reason. I'm sure the window clerk at McDonald's giving me diet Coke instead of regular didn't happen for some profound REASON, nor did my kid falling off his bike or that really annoying neighbor dog barking all night. Not things like that. I mean the big things. Tragedy, loss, love, life changes, illness, children, etc. The big things...whatever that means to you.
Now the author of this article does make some great points. Having tragedy in your life changes you and sometimes it's not for the good. Sometimes it makes you hard and angry and cynical. Sometimes people never get past it. However tragedy can make you wonderful, and change your life for the better. It can make you more compassionate, and humble, and loving. It can do wonderful things. It may not feel like it at the time, it will hurt and feel like shit (yes I just cussed on my blog, because that's sometimes the only true word to use when you are going through horrible times) but if you let it tragedy can make you better. I think that's the part that this guy got wrong is he forgot to put choice into the equation, you have to choose to be changed for the good. You have to choose to be happy despite trial. Go ahead and grieve and be angry and curse God or the universe or whatever higher power you believe in, and then let it change you and make a positive out of it.
Now I'm not by any means saying that I am perfect at this because I AM NOT! I do try though. I mean I REALLY TRY! Because believing that everything happens for a reason is everything to me. If it's not happening for a reason, if I'm not supposed to grow and learn and change from a particular experience then what's the whole point of life? I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, I know where I came from and where I'm going and that means everything to me. So why wouldn't things in my life happen for a reason? We are here for a reason, we are hear for a purpose and all our experiences are molding us into what He knows we can become.
So even if the reason is to bring you closer to Him, then I'll take it.
Comments